Uric acid is odourous and, if neglected, will corrode plumbing, pipework and fittings. The build-up of uric acid crystals, coupled with limescale, will damage plastic and copper fittings which is often unseen and therefore discovered too late. This can involve the repair/replacement of a urinal. Most maintenance companies provide small disinfectant blocks to disguise the odour, however these do not deal with the uric acid build-up.
Waterless urinals are becoming more commonplace and these accelerate the build-up of uric acid. Conventional treatments simply do not deal with the root cause. Businesses are attracted to waterless urinals’ financial and environment returns; promising to reduce 100k litres water, saving approximately £150 per year. However, businesses have come to realise these savings have been dwarfed by the increased cost of chemicals to reduce odour build-up.
Why treat the problem when you can eliminate it?
Most maintenance companies provide small disinfectant blocks to disguise the odour, however these do not deal with the uric acid build-up. Not only does the practice damage pipework and the environment, it does not deal with the problem at source.